Heritage Of Oro-Medonte
Oro-Medonte is a township rich in history, located in south-central Ontario, Canada, on the northwestern shores of Lake Simcoe in The County of Simcoe. The neighboring Townships of Oro and Medonte were merged in 1994, under a restructuring of the County of Simcoe. Mostly settled in the early 1830s to 1900s with mainly immigrants from England, Scotland and Ireland with the exception of about 40 black settlers who escaped slavery from the United States. These settler's obtained land grants in various forms ranging from military, crown land sales, free and other forms of grants. Life in the settler times was not an easy life as most arrived with just a few hand tools and some necessities of life. Most endured the hardships of building a home and clearing some land to grow food for their family. These ancestors and their descendants have helped to shape the township into the beautiful township the residents are so proud to call home today.
The Township of Oro-Medonte acknowledges that we are situated on the traditional land of Anishnaabek (A-nich-in-aa-beh) people, and Ancestral territory of the Huron-Wendat.
Communities of Oro-Medonte
Eight Mile Point
Mount St. Louis
St. Thomas Anglican Church
The mission parish of Shanty Bay was founded in 1830 by Lt.-Col. Edward O’Brien and his wife, Mary. Lt.-Col. O'Brien, a leading member of the Shanty Bay settlement, donated the church site and clergyman's residence and directed the construction of the church.
The cornerstone of the church was laid on June 29, 1838, and construction was largely completed by 1841. This church is one of the few surviving structures in Ontario built of "rammed earth". This method of construction utilized wet clay mixed with chopped straw, compacted into forms and covered, when dry, with plaster or siding for protection against the weather. The church was officially opened on February 27, 1842.
The Oro African Church
The Oro African Methodist Episcopal Church, a National Historic Site, officially reopened its doors to the public on August 2016. Corner of Line 3 North and Old Barrie Rd.
Thanks to the support and dedication of hundreds nationwide!